View Single Post
Old 11-20-2018, 07:32 PM

I think Eastman makes some really great products. I currently own 2 x Eastman archtops - an AR503CE and an AR603CE-15.

First off, I think you will find that Eastman makes a nice selection of archtops and semi hollow guitars, ranging from laminated tops and backs to fully carved instruments. They also seem to be fitting the guitars with nice quality hardware including Kent Armstrong pickups. In all, they put together very nice instruments at a very reasonable price, making pro level guitars attainable to even the novice player.

I also like that Eastman uses a nitrocellulose lacquer finish. Definitely requires more care and is a little less durable than polyurethane but it really allows the guitar to resonate more naturally.

I've heard some negative comments about Eastman's cases. I bought my AR503CE in 2015 (only 3 years ago) and I will say that the case is not as sturdy as the cases that have come on my Taylor guitars. In contrast, I purchased my AR603CE-15 earlier this year and the case that it came with is fantastic. So, I'm not sure if Eastman have upgraded their cases across the board, or if the cases vary depending on the price point of the guitar.

One negative I experienced with the AR503CE is that the first couple of years the neck seemed to be a little unstable. I found from season to season, I had to adjust the saddle height and truss rod more than any other guitar that I own. Having said that, it seems to have finally stabilized in that I have not had to adjust the neck or saddle height for more than a year.

Over all, I am very please with my 2 x Eastman archtops. Really a great value for the money in my opinion.

Last edited by Livingston; 11-20-2018 at 07:42 PM.