Thread: OK, I Give Up
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2021, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
aK_bAsh7-

I believe many of us have been in the same spot. My present guitar, a Bourgeois 00 Country Boy was discovered by accident. In 2014, I had been trying various guitars over the course of a year hoping to move up from my Guild GAD30. That year, I paid a visit to 'The Music Emporium' in Lexington, MA - a very observant sales associate, Andy Cambria, was able to home in on exactly what I was looking for; he handed me the Bourgeois and my face lit up. So, I believe that the right guitar is out there waiting.

My guess is that over time and testing many guitars, our brains, ears and muscles figure out what we don't want, and then, when a guitar with adequate parameters shows up, the light goes off and the bells start to ring.

Bottom line, keep looking and enjoy the journey.

best,

Rick

PS - A used guitar has hopefully already begun to open up in its sound and playability. My Bourgeois was four years old when I purchased it (consignment). It looked like it had never been played. Over the past six years, it has continued to blossom. The guitar is now 10 years old and keeps sounding better every year. Factory built new guitars always sound muted and tight to me. Luthier built guitars seem to be ready to sing straight out of the case.
Rick: what you suggest about "time and testing" makes a lot of sense.
I have nothing against used guitars. In fact, I'd prefer one.
Around here, craigslist has the most used guitars and I'd rather buy from a reputable shop.