View Single Post
Old 06-07-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
People sometime are surprised at some of the things I pull out of my hat but I tell them, really there are only two options available when making something. Either you take away something or you add to it. Whether you cut with a saw drill with a bit, use an EDM machine to blast particles away, bolt a joint together, glue a joint, weld it, it is all the same. In that context then your table is a guitar.

But when you talk about using solid woods and you do not want them to crack, a table where the edges are not captured resulting in limited stresses building up due to moisture loss as compared to a guitar that binds the soundboard and back. My monitor and keyboard are on an oak desk that I built many years ago. It went through the same low humidity season as the guitar bodies I have built but have not been able to build necks for them. A number of the bodies have cracked over the winter, the desk has not. They may be both built out of wood and some of the same joints used in both are the same but the peculiarities of the guitar limit the mitigation that you can use in a piece of furniture. But then again, we do build plywood guitars.
The thing is, we were originally talking about finishes. Furniture (and finishes) were introduced. Then, the argument was made that a guitar and table have nothing to do with each other.

If we're talking musical instruments, that's a good point. When we're talking about woodworking (particularly finishing wood), it's ludicrous. The reason you apply a finish to a guitar or a table is the same in each case. The type of finish and manner of application can of course differ - but that doesn't change the reason why you're applying it.

The point of the breadboard end was also in the context of woodworking, not in the context of specific wood products or projects. The point was simply that you have to consider the effects humidity may cause when working with wood. How you deal with this varies, and is why I listed a range of situations. I have a hard time understanding why some folks can't comprehend this simple point.