View Single Post
Old 09-25-2021, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
...you just upped a Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin/CW II to the top of my list! Now, to decide between that and a Gibson Les Paul Special Dual P-90 TV Yellow ax ...
Different animal entirely; I own a 2011 LP Studio '60s Tribute goldtop (a limited-production version with PRS-style revealed "binding") that serves as my "rock" guitar - and while the flatwound strings I use do allow less-aggressive styles (I own a Strat, I've played Jaguars/Jazzmasters/Mosrites, and I've yet to find a better surf guitar), unlike the Godin it really comes into its own when those little glass tone bottles in your amp are getting down and dirty . As you know I'm primarily a Gretsch player - a 3-PU 5622 is my first grab since it covers 95% of what I generally need on a gig - and far be it from me to be an enabler , but there's a reason I own both. That said, since you already have the hollowbody thing very well-covered for now with your 5420-59, if it's an either/or proposition I'd opt for a P-90 LP and hold the Godin for a later date...