View Single Post
Old 05-20-2022, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post
"And if you ever should need a friend
Well the offer still stands."

The Last Nail from Fallen Angel. That was the album that marked a decline in sales from his two earlier blockbusters Home Free and Souvenirs, but I remember it well. It seems that when the buyers of his two classics graduated from college, they moved on.

But after a few less-heralded albums he blasted onto the Adult Contemporary charts with The Innocent Age, a double album with three radio hits: Same Old Lang Syne, Run for the Roses, and Leader of the Band, which reclaimed the acoustic finger-picking territory once blazed by Stephen Stills a decade earlier.

Dan Fogelberg. Passed up by history. Gone too soon. A gifted songwriter, an unparalleled singer, one of the best guitarists of the seventies, talented arranger. Given to lush arrangements, which may have put off his original folk fans.
Interesting comments. I agree that his lush arrangements on his later recordings may have lost him some, maybe even a lot of his audience. I think many people hungered for the sound from just him and an acoustic guitar, maybe a little harmony, much like "Leader of the Band."

I don't blame him for wanting to try other things; a performer has to make himself happy. But sometimes a performer loses the core of his audience this way; sometimes he finds new fans.

- Glenn