View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Nothing fancy, been done for years, I don't know how many times you've heard Paul McCartney sing, but most of them are twice, Lennon too, etc, etc.

Right, in pop music, real doubling is par for the course, on everything. I recall reading a comment in a magazine about a drum mix and how it was double-tracked, with the comment of "you don't really think a single snare drum sounds like that, do you?" When my son recorded with his punk rock band, playing bass, he tracked his bass part something like 8 times to get the "big" sound they wanted. I thought he was a bit crazy :-) Besides actual doubling, the Beatles used "varispeed", where they'd change the speed of the tape to do the de-tuning by altering the voltage going to the tape motors. One of the pitch shifters I tried was the Waves Doubler, which can pitch shift, and also can sweep the amount of pitch shift to create a less static effect, in theory more realistic - sort of a modern day varispeed. But that sounds very chorus-y when I try it on solo acoustic.

I'm curious how often this gets used on solo acoustic guitar, I've never run into it before, other than as a mono->stereo technique, but now I wonder if it gets used all the time, and just isn't talked about. You'd almost think it'd be a mastering trick.