View Single Post
Old 11-04-2010, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Default Aloha Chuck

Aloha Chuck,

Congratulations on the free Macbook Pro - a workable solution. I suggest that you upgrade to 4 RAM if possible to accomodate LP9. Go to an Apple store & talk story with a Logic trainer about what you need. Also ask them about the 1-to-1 program, which I think is available only when you buy something new like Logic or a computer. Check it out.

Regarding the MOTU's, I looked at that brand & its relationship to Mac/Logic when I decided to move away from PTLE. I must admit that I personally have not given any MOTU a spin around the block first hand. But I didn't parrot others' onlne opinions about the 896 either. I went to a studio friend who has a couple of 896's, had him demo it & lesser MOTU's for me, & then spoke at length with him about MOTU performance & features.

I was looking at MOTU because I had thought that I needed multi-tracking capability at the time & it was cheaper than the Ensemble. I still may need a multi-interface in the near future for mic placement in my room, which is better now in terms of treatment.

I compared the MOTU & Apogee's spec's & decided to go with the Apogee for my simple recording needs when I switched my thinking to Mac. The main reason was sound. The second reason - after my bad PTLE/PC experience - was the full integration of the iMac/Logic Pro/Apogee combination - the best available.

Bottom line is that the Apogee invented audio interface technology & has MUCH BETTER PREAMPS onboard than MOTU (easily circumvented by using a great external pre). Other trusted engineer friends agreed with my appraisal. I went with the Apogee.

BTW, which preferred features are you looking at on the 896?

Now, you definitely CAN make really great professional guitar recordings with MOTU products included in your chain. Absolutely. For example, it's All Petteway's favorite interface & his recordings are among the best. An interface is only a small element in a recording signal chain & the differences are subtle. MOTU has had great success. I don't think you'll have any problems getting accurate, clear sounding tracks from an 896, MBP & Logic 9 combo. Most depends on YOUR skill as an engineer.

All the best as you put your rig together, Chuck. Trust your ears! Gotta go. I'm on the Big Island this week for business.

A Hui Hou!
alohachris