View Single Post
Old 05-19-2015, 07:55 PM

Location: Carson City, Nv (Want a jackrabbit? We've got extras!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEGuy View Post
Hey Jim,

Not sure what you mean by “’super Martin’ type voice,” but Larry’s guitars have always struck me as having more of a Collings-type voice.

That is, the sound is more balanced and direct with greater clarity and articulation (but still a “vintage” sound as opposed to a “modern” one).

Possibly this is what you mean – not sure.

In fact, I think that playing my Tahoe for the past 1-2 years has actually affected my taste in this area.

I used to enjoy playing and listening to an HD28V, for example (even though I never liked Sitka that much), but I played one recently, and it sounded way too “boomy” and unbalanced to me.

I much preferred the sound of the straight-braced (and non-FS) D28.
By "super Martin" I mean Martin-based designs which are "hot rodded" per their respective luthiers. I put Collings, Bourgeois, Santa Cruz, H&D, Froggy Bottom in the "super Martin" category (I know they also have Gibson-based and other designs). To my ear Tahoe guitars have some of the aggressive punchiness of Collings combined with the more lush tonal character of Santa Cruz.

In the night you hide from the madman
You're longing to be
But it all comes out on the inside
Eventually