View Single Post
Old 06-10-2019, 09:25 PM
Charter Member

Smile PC

Jim, my self-built Windows 10 PC is awesome for recording music, editing high resolution photos, and even gaming. I don't have any driver or other issues, and I have quite a lot of audio plugins and virtual instruments.

For reference, my PC contains an Intel i9-9900K CPU (8 cores at 5.0 Ghz, 16 cores with hyperthreading), 32 GB of Corsair Dominator RAM (@1600 Mhz), ASUS ROG Maximus XI Extreme motherboard, Corsair AX-1200i power supply (fan does not run when recording), EVGA GeForce RTX-2080 video card, Samsung 970 Pro 1 TB M.2 SSD boot drive, Samsung 970 Evo 2 TB M.2 SSD for audio recording (and storing photos), two Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB SATA SSD's for virtual instruments and plugins, WD Black 6 TB SATA hard drive for backup, and Pioneer BD-RW optical drive. I use an RME FireFace 802 for my audio interface when recording music.

I have high quality, quiet case fans (120mm and 140mm), but I recently installed a military grade switch on the case to turn off the case fans when I record. My mics are about 8 to 10 feet from my PC, and even though they don't directly point towards the PC, I was picking up a small amount of noise.

I have built at least 4 previous PC's for music recording, and the only driver issues I had on any of those were from a Universal Audio UAD-2 PCIe card.

I only record my music as a hobby, and obviously don't spend as much time at it as many others on this forum, so maybe I have just been lucky in the equipment I chose.

I think both modern Macs and PC's can be used equally well for recording music/audio. A lot of it boils down to what you are comfortable with and like using. Like Derek, I prefer the flexibility of building a PC and choosing each specific component, including the case. Building PC's is also enjoyable to me, and I like personalizing them to my taste.

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut

Last edited by Cocobolo Kid; 06-11-2019 at 02:06 AM.