View Single Post
Old 11-10-2010, 01:59 PM

Default better monitoring

Ok so I'm kinda glad I have this problem as I feel my ears are getting more and more discerning, but there is such a monitoring difference between things it's driving me nuts. I'll record something, and mix through my headphones, reference monitors, and PC speakers to get an idea of how it sounds compared to professional recordings, and just when I think I have the mix and mastering to my liking I play it through my car stereo and sounds like poo!!

I listened to my latest track today in my car and it just sounds super thin and brittle, the mids sound too scooped, and there's a bit too much presence in the high end that makes it sound a bit too shrill. Initially I was thinking (just like all us gas-y people) I should upgrade my pre's, but my digi002 has the older focusrite pre's (some argue these were better pre's than the more current 002 pre's) and my presonus eureka pre aren't bad pre's.

Any recommendations to help my issue? http://www.box.net/shared/m99euizq5y here's the track I'm reffering to...I just can't seem to get that fullness and meatiness that professional studio's put out...

Rainsong WS1000
Taylor "T6" Custom w/added element UST
USA Tele Deluxe
Ibanex SRX-500
Vox AC-15

Korg Pitch Black (2x), Fishman Aura 16, BBE Sonic Stomp, LR Baggs PADI, Boss TU-2, Sansamp Tech21 Bass Driver, Boss GE-7 Bass EQ, MXR Micro Amp, Keely BD-2, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet, Boss DD-20, BBE supacharger

Up next: Empress EQ, Radial J48