View Single Post
Old 06-21-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewh2 View Post
You should write for a guitar magazine or two, your descriptions are far superior to the ones in magazines on our grey side of the Atlantic (UK) and the other side...
Many thanks but I think it's rather like trying to describe wine - you know what you like and don't like but trying to explain why - especially when the differences are subtle - is very difficult. I think I know what "earthy" means but it may not mean the same to the next guy.

I've played loads of guitars over the last 7 years or so and the more I play, the more difficult I find it to decide how to rank them and describe them, not less - which is the opposite of what I'd expected. There are a lot of really, really great makers around (that old "Golden Age" thing again) and in many cases it's difficult to get a cigarette paper between them. Often it simply comes down to cost. These days I'm really attracted to great guitars that cost half of what they should do.

That's one of the reasons I say I'd like to have a Brondel at home for a while; having a guitar for a few weeks rather than minutes really allows you to get to know it, and I'm always conscious in stores like TAMCO that my exposure to great guitars is inevitably a few minutes each. Nevertheless, a few minutes with that Essential and I knew I loved it.

Cheers,
Steve