View Single Post
Old 06-20-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
I've played at least 7 or so and they are really great guitars IMHO. I played an A2 essential at TAMCO last week that was superb.

They look like Sobells (in profile you can appreciate the marked arching to the top and back) but I don't really think they sound like them and they seem to be lighter built. They have the separation and clarity that Sobells have but - to my ears at least - most Brondel's I've played have had a looser, earthier, woodier tone to them, that's very appealing. Most have been very resonant. Some have actually reminded me of old, smaller Martins. I hear quite a bit more "wood" (vs "string") in the Brondels than I do in most modern USA guitars I seem to be playing these days. I don't strum but I think they'd be difficult to overdrive. All that is probably sweeping generalisation, but this is the internet so I'm allowed to!

I like them a lot and they're one of the guitars I'd like to have at home for an extended period to get to know; it's always difficult when you play one for a few minutes, and then immediately play a different guitar (or several).

Just my 2p (or 2c...).

cheers,
Steve
You should write for a guitar magazine or two, your descriptions are far superior to the ones in magazines on our grey side of the Atlantic (UK) and the other side... Great descriptions of the Brondel tone, it makes one appreciate why his guitars are gaining popularity.