View Single Post
Old 05-12-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhchang View Post
I think you misunderstood "cover". All the audio/video of guitar covers are actually recorded by each individuals, NOT hacked or copied/pasted from the original publications. The copywright law does NOT indicate you could not play others' songs but ONLY new songs written by yourself. That's ridiculous.
You need to stick your face firmly into copyright law, my friend.

When someone writes the words and/or music for a song, it's their intellectual property. They own it. If you perform their material you are violating their copyright. That's why ASCAP and BMI go from venue to venue listening for copyright infringements.

For instance, Joe Schmoe is playing material that's owned by someone else, say, Bob Dylan, Jagger/Richards or whoever. Unless the venue pays the license fee, performing other people's material in public (or on youtube) is a violation of copyright and is actionable (as in, you can be sued.)

The song "Happy Birthday", for example, is owned by Warner Chapel. They paid around 5 Million dollars (or near that) a number of years ago for it. That's why the restaurants don't sing that song when they serve up a cup cake with a candle on it.

That's why the only material on my channel is either in Public Domain or is my own material.

Regards,

Ty Ford