View Single Post
Old 02-09-2019, 12:36 PM

I recall a long thread here with contributions by Fazool who states that metal strings do not stretch. When we "stretch strings" what we are doing is taking up the slack between the nut and the tuning machine, between the saddle and tailpiece, and on the windings around the tuner shaft. That last element is usually the most significant.

When locking tuners are used there should be almost no string wraps around the tuner shaft. That's the whole genius of them. You should insert the string in the hole, pull it taunt, and then clamp it down with the locking mechanism, and finally tune up. I don't usually try to pull it to near normal string tension on my locking tuner guitars before locking, but I generally aim for no sag in the string and I end up with something less than one full wrap on the tuner shaft. Did you do this?

I still "stretch my strings" on a locking tuner guitar after install, but it's much less fiddly (and easier to change strings too). I still need to tune up my guitar before playing because the wood will move a little.

I'm trying to remember the robotuner setup on these. Was it a zero fret deal? Brass nuts themselves can be sticky, and hangups between the nut and the tuner shaft can occur on typical Les Paul and the like headstocks.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....