View Single Post
Old 06-30-2016, 08:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

In a thicker top, my rosette is deeper; generally about 5/6 of the way through is my rule of thumb. I do mean rule of thumb as it is strictly a guesstimate, done by eye. (Could have used the semi-colon again, but overuse opens one to criticism.)

I actually love the restraint that function puts on aesthetics (for me). Aesthetic choices that do not fulfill, and especially that compromise, function seem frivolous to me. While I can appreciate their merit as far a creativity and visual balance are concerned, I am so distracted by my considerations that they cannot actually be beautiful. This is because for me the guitar is a tool to make make music, and its efficiency is my total preoccupation. The goal of my work (aside from the mundane task of paying the bills) is to advance the guitar as a vehicle for the player to express themselves on all fronts. This means ergonomics, tone, volume, balance, projection, and longevity, all at the same time while getting out from between the player and their audience. I believe the traditional guitar has not been fully exploited to this end, and that I, among just a few others, are making better guitar than have previously existed in the world using essentially the same tools and methods as those who went before us. It is virtually "holy work" for me, which is why I may run at the mouth a bit when I get going on the subject. I do try not to proselytize.

Roxie persists. So far we have had to slow down for her considerably, but she has not failed to keep contract as far as being housebroken, so we have not seriously questioned her right to live with us. I quail before that almost inevitable moment. She is stoic, always was (10 months of life before us was probably hard); what a great dog!

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 06-30-2016 at 08:19 PM.