View Single Post
Old 01-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
Well hold on Gordon The QSC does NOT have an eq section. It does NOT have reverb. It does NOT have feedback notch filters and most importantly and almost universally overlooked is that both The BagAmp and The SoloAmp were and are designed to address the fairly narrow range of problems and obstacles that present themselves to gigging acoustic guitar players. That puts the designer at an advantage over the guy at QSC that had to take into consideration just how many uses the K8 or K10 would need to cover. Add the cost of a Mackie 1202 and a cheap reverb and your certainly in a different ballpark cost-wise.

Again we're comparing apples to oranges...or worse.

Now of course if one is looking for a "jack of all trades" that perhaps could be used to spin records at a party, serve as a make-shift monitor at a gig, serve as a PA system for a lobby at a restaurant or just provide FOH stuff without the need for EQ and or effects the QSC IS a more cost effective solution without doubt.

YMMV
What he said.

For the record, my current rig is a Yammy MG mixer with reverb and compression and a powered PV speaker. I've owned but sold a Loudbox 100.

If I did upgrade my humble outfit, haven't decided what route I'd go -- which is why I've been following these discussions. I just don't think I need light and super loud in a single unit.

Heck, in the dozen or so shows in which I used the Loudbox I never came close to cranking it past half way up, but I did find that all alone it sounded "small" no matter how loud, and so I could never really get into taking advantage of its excellent portability. ...my impression is that the line array approach would solve that, but I've yet to hear one of those systems in operation... out here in the sticks as we are.

Of course, as my manager/wife would say: is it really worth slapping down $500-800 to save another trip or two out to the car?

td