View Single Post
Old 07-24-2020, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I've done business with Bob Smakula a couple of times, though not in recent years. He really knows the subject of banjos in all their myriad variety far better than just about anybody else.

Daryl, was this banjo originally intended for use with steel strings, or was it designed as a gut string instrument? That was kind of a transitional period for banjo around then.

Wade Hampton Miller
I didn't ask Bob that question, had it in mind, but it has an original Talon tailpiece(which looks like a Kings crown to me), i'll try to remember to take a good closeup picture of that and post here. I did ask how the neck laid with tension and Bob said it was straight(and it is). The more I play it the more intriqued I am with it. It is a really nice sounding banjo, bright but not crashy. the notes on all strings are clear and well rounded up to about the 15th fret, then they get a little thunky, but not dead sounding. actually sounds as clear and good as my modern day Nechville Atlas-which I have always thought was one of the best sounding open backs I've played(and why I own it).

goggled that tailpiece:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg talon.jpg (27.3 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by darylcrisp; 07-24-2020 at 05:48 PM.