View Single Post
Old 01-11-2022, 01:26 PM

Thanks for all the great responses (and enabling)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
Considering the price of a new D-18 in Ambertone, that is a great price. I’ve visited the Russo’s shop in downtown Philadelphia, and it’s first rate.

If I didn’t already have a 000-18 (oh, and if I were right-handed), I’d be all over this like Cheez-Wiz on a South Philly cheesesteak.

Speaking of 000-18s, for all of those who have visions of D-18s dancing like sugarplums in your heads, try out a 000-18 just for sake of comparison. I have a few Ds (D-28, HD-28 and HD-35) which I love, but every time I play the the 000, with its slightly shorter scale, lighter strings, comfortable body and sweet sound, I wonder why I bother with dreadnought-sized guitars.
Valid -- but personally, I don't care for the ambertone look. As for 000-18s, a good friend of mine owns one, and I never could get on with it. Too quiet and subdued for the kind of music I play and the type of response I'm used to getting from an acoustic guitar. I guess I'm just a dyed-in-the-wool dreadnaught lover!

Lots of great advice throughout this thread...as for Furch and the other respectable brands mentioned, I must say that after so much time pining for a D-18, I am pretty set on winding up with a Martin. Though I do need to play more of them in person...an AGF member sent me a PM mentioning that the reimagined D-18s have a tricky neck taper that may not agree with some. And since my favorite guitar neck profiles tend to be fairly beefy (Baja Tele, National Triolian resonator), this could apply to me! And sadly, I don't think my funds can quite handle a $2500~ purchase right now, despite my GAS. Perhaps I'll have a nice enough tax refund this year that I can put towards the purchase. Thanks all for your input!
2013 National Triolian

1921 Gibson A-2 Mandolin
2009 Gibson F9 Mandolin
2010 National RM-1 Mandolin