View Single Post
Old 04-09-2021, 10:52 AM

Default B string buzzing 3rd fret, Cole Clark acoustic

Got an annoying buzz on the B string (2nd thinnest string) and only on the third fret. It's a pretty important Fret / String too for open chords. it's not thudding out, just an annoying buzz that could nearly be ignored. Every other string in every other position on the neck is fine. I am loathe to do anything to the saddle nut or truss rod as I have the action perfect. I am not new to guitar repairs and set ups so have some knowledge though I haven't done much with frets / dressing. Obviously when I finger the third fret it is buzzing out on the 4th fret, one in front. I could try to dress that but have found in the past the problem seems to travel up the neck, then buzzes on the fourth fret etc.

I was wondering would I be able to raise that string alone somehow? One little trick I have done before is place a very thin guitar wire under the string in the nut slot. Seems to stay in place. Haven't tried it on this guitar yet but not sure if I should adjust at the nut or saddle? Probably needs raising at the saddle I guess as adjustments to the nut will be moot when fretting at 3. Is there any technique or trick, or something I could put under that string where the string goes over the saddle?

At that part of the neck, if I was to compensate with the truss rod would I be looking to add relief or straighten (tighten) the rod? I have found with some guitars when you loosen the truss rod the relief doesn't always show up as a bow in the middle of the neck. The neck is nearly dead straight now and action nice and low and that's how I like them. I could raise the saddle or add relief but seems a shame to do that when it is only one string on one fret. Any advice appreciated. By the way I live in remote Thailand so "take it to a reputable Luthier" isn't an option for me.