View Single Post
Old 11-07-2011, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
I have the TLM 103 and it has the same issues with a single mike on an acoustic guitar. Ultimately it is what you are listening for and what you want to hear that makes your recording choices (that and your budget).
Before you condemn the TLM 103, I'd look around to see what's reflecting in your recording environment. The TLM 103 is a very w i d e cardioid, an extended HF response and a very low self noise. I own a pair. The space in which you use them has to be very controlled or they will show every acoustic flaw, like reflected phasey sound.

I once tried one in a radio station news booth and (as I suspected) it was a nightmare because of the large plate glass window and the tape decks (with motors). The bounce off the glass was very apparent and because of the extended HF response and low self-noise, you could plainly hear the bearings in the tape deck motors .

Not saying this is your setup, but a TLM 103 in an average bedroom studio is not a good idea. In addition, the TLM 103 doesn't like certain preamps, like the Mackies of Focusrite Red two channel preamp (among others). In those situations, the mic sounds spitty. The AKG C414 can be equally finnicky. SO if you want to use either of those mics, you also need to plan for preamps that don't make the mics sound bad.

Regards,

Ty Ford