View Single Post
Old 06-18-2021, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpinteria View Post
Bummer! So sorry to hear about the flooding. I hope the top can be salvaged, and the work on the house not too extensive. Dave
Thanks Dave. Thankfully I was able to save that top so all is well, the flooring will need to be replaced at some point as we lost a good bit of it along with some sheetrock. But it could've been alot worse.

Anyways now that things are dried out I have resumed the construction of what will be #211. With my numbering system the first 2 numbers are the last two of the year it was made (2021) and the third is the order it was made that year. So 211 will be the first guitar made in 2021. I try to repeat that so that folks don't think I've made 200+ instruments in my short career thus far.

Yesterday morning the bending started on the sides. And last night after work they were done. If you're a beginner considering this craft I can say with utmost certainty that Indian rosewood is an absolutely wonderful wood to bend, bends easy and makes the whole house smell like incense when you do it.

The mold definitely helped get the symetry a little more accurately than a line drawn on the worktable. Only thing is trying to clamp it in the mold doesn't work so well since the shape is slightly wider than the mold will accomodate, the mold is a 15" lower bout and the Grand Western has a 15.75" lower bout. So I just follow the lines of the mold and then remove the sides out of it to continue to work.

More to come soon, glad to be back at it on a normal schedule.

Formerly known as, "Will Kirk"