View Single Post
Old 08-17-2015, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Well, tho DPA is a reputable source, this chart seems way too generic to me to be meaningful. But even if it applies to the specific mics you are considering, I serious doubt you can get 119db dynamic range out of a guitar, or capture that reasonably on a recording. A CD, at 16 bits can only capture 96 db, for example. Yes, if you record at 24 bits, you can theoretically store more dynamic range (144db, I believe), but your gear and noise floor probably won't support that. In a home studio, if you can get a -70db noise floor, you'll be doing great. For acoustic guitar, dynamic range just doesn't seem to be a consideration to me. Maybe if you were recording an orchestra, or even drums.
Great point Doug , I think we are really talking how they transpose in real life working situations...while recording dynamic volumes =as you stated can not be achieved to that level..it may transpose to a sort of transient response in real life...I am probably not explaining this in the meaning I wish to...
Simply trying to state that often things convert to another technical result.