View Single Post
Old 06-15-2019, 08:28 AM

Just an FYI the reason barn door style preamps are hard to get now is because practically nobody wants them, even though I understand the convenience of having all that stuff at your fingertips. My X30, when I gave it to my uncle, had a passive Schatten HFN pickup. Similar to a K&K in that it's a passive SBT. However, tonally they're much better (IMO) and sounds more like a mic than the Baggs Anthem system. I've used or heard or tried practically all the pickup systems over the years and this HFN to me is the best. It will also pick up the percussive sounds that you mentioned with ease.

For my X20 I installed the Schatten HFN Artist plus 2 version which is able to be powered by phantom power (which I'm using) or a 9v battery. This version comes with the option to add a 2nd pickup, which I did. This version offers only onboard volume controls which is all I need as I don't have to EQ the HFN to get the sound I want.

For you I would recommend the Schatten HFN Active version that has onboard tone and volume controls and uses a 9V battery. It's easy to install, you can do it yourself. For feedback rejection it was just behind the Fishman Matrix UST which I was very impressed with for a SBT. I was in the "pickup loop" for years and now consider myself out of it since discovering this pickup.