View Single Post
Old 06-13-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melt in the Sun View Post
When I had my messed up X20 I spoke with Alistair on the phone about it - he said the fingerboard and neck are all carbon fiber and the tangs were set into it. My inference here - it seems they would fret the guitar then do the black polyester coating OVER the frets, which is why there was leftover black gunk in the uneven fret ends on mine. Then the coating would have been removed from the frets during leveling/crowning/polishing. I could be wrong about that. I don't recall hearing anything about glued frets ala Parker.

Kevin told me the same thing about the bridge, which is why the custom bridges are so pricey. He said they mold the guitar as normal, then plane off the normal bridge and build the custom one in place.
That's good to know! I know they used to use Parker fretboards at one point. That's more than likely the version Jon had where the frets would've been glued. EvanB pointed out to me in a different thread that they stopped using Parker fretboards for their own design, which is likely what you described. I'm glad I know how they do it cause I thought for sure they were glued.