View Single Post
Old 06-11-2022, 09:14 PM

Default How do I add an acoustic pickup to a J-160E, keep the magnetic pickup, have one jack?

I have a 1991 Gibson J-160E, solid top not the plywood top model, with a P100 magnetic pickup in the usual place at the top of the soundhole.

I want to add some type of acoustic pickup to this guitar ... I want to be able to use it as the wonderful, broken-in 31-year-old acoustic that it is ... while keeping the magnetic pickup for when I want to play "I Feel Fine."

I would also like to have the same jack (mine is on the endpin, not the side like the old J-160E's) for both pickups.

Years ago, I was told that the easiest way to make this work was to use the Baggs IMix system but instead of using the Element pickup that comes with that set, run wires from the existing volume and tone pots on the J-160E to the Element terminal on the IMix box. In other words just use the IBeam pickup for the acoustic sound.

I never got around to doing it, though, and now that I want to get around to doing it, it appears the IMix system has been discontinued (it's not on the Baggs website anymore) although it still seems pretty easy to get.

Just seeking input ... would that still be the optimal way to go for what I'm seeking to do, or is there a more recent system that would be better?

In my "perfect world" I'd like to have some kind of mic setup (Lyric?) more than an undersaddle pickup, but I realize this is an imperfect world.

Last edited by PRW94; 06-11-2022 at 09:21 PM.