View Single Post
Old 12-26-2018, 08:06 PM

Default Concert uke for $200 or less?

Hello all, after drowning in searches for the past few days I’ve decided to ask the masses for a recommendation on a concert uke up to $200.

As a reference I’ve dabbled in uke and understand the basics of chording etc. I’m really a guitar player looking for a fun couch/ travel/ writing instrument of a different flavor. I’ve currently got a cheap lanakai soprano that feels more like a toy than anything and want to graduate to a more mid-level instrument.

I went to my local GC today to check some out and was left disappointed. Nothing they had felt like a step up or struck me as something I had to have. I’m looking for a mellow sounding ukulele with at least some level of sustain, not just something that goes “plink” and dies off. I’ve heard YouTube folk playing so I know it can be done!

Seeing as I don’t think I’ll find something local it seems like my best bet is gonna be online. So I suppose I’d like:
1) good value for money, just like anyone I suppose. I’m not looking for the cheapest option, but rather something I won’t outgrow.
2) a reputable online shop since I’ll be ordering sight unseen
3) aesthetically I like the look of mahogany, at this price point I expect laminate construction, but am open to any wood grain really. Binding, rosette etc not very important. I do want non cutaway and no electronics though.
4) I’m pretty married to the concert size but if I’m horrifically wrong I’ll entertain other suggestions.

Thanks!

Last edited by strat87; 12-26-2018 at 09:26 PM.