View Single Post
Old 05-05-2002, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by david_m
At the risk of screwing up yet again..........

For the G chord in first position (300023 from high to low), I would recommend the following:

Third finger on the third fret of the sixth string
Second finger on the second fret of the fifth string
fourth finger (pinky) on the third fret of the first string

This is usually very uncomfortable for the beginning player. Whenever I show this formation for the first time the response is always the same, "Why would you want to do it that way?!?" There are two major reasons why this is the preferred way to finger a first position G chord:

1. It is VERY easy to switch back and forth from a first postion G to a first position C with this fingering.

2. It forces you to exercise and learn to use your pinky. The pinky is 25% of your fretting fingers and it MUST be used effectively.

Incidentally, I say the pinky is 25% of the fretting fingers because I would sooner walk down main street naked than hook my thumb orver the neck and fret a note with it. The thumb is really not a fretting finger. Regardless of what some folks say, using your thumb to fret notes is bad technique. If it makes you happy to use your thumb, then go crazy, but it's not my cup of tea.

Hope this is helpful,

David
I agree. The pinky is a very important finger to use if you want to be a complte player. Wthout it you're pretty much stuck with basic open chords. If you lern the G with the pinky first like I did it's much easier. Old habits are hard to break. I taught my 13 yr. old to do it this way and he picked it right up. Use your thumb? Never!

814ce-LTD Brazilian