View Single Post
Old 08-12-2020, 05:05 PM

Default Good advice...

A set of Polywebs really tamed the beast here. if I keep at less than half treble and back off the mike volume somewhat, I can play pretty cleanly. But if I take it to the limits, the whole guitar transforms into a live mike. Even brushing my skin softly along the side gives a loud response. I didn't get that hypersensitvity with a previous mike/UST combination pickup I had in another guitar.

The payoff is an extremely clear and present sound that probably surpasses my other pickups. If I slowly raise the volume, I can increase make the guitar sound louder, but still pretty much the same. It's a pleasing but stimulating sound... or set of sounds, considering the variables. It's easy to see why other Godinites miss this pickup. Certainly it's sold me on the merits of dual-source pickups. The physical design is attractive, too. The rounded, asymmetrical control panel in pewter blends nicely, the placement on the side leaves the upper bout that you tend to look at free of the black plastic "barn doors" that we learned to hate. The controls are well laid out, too. I'd prefer this to the Baggs Anthem, which seems to be the modern equivalent, with its big bright soundhole control panel.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass