View Single Post
Old 06-19-2019, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I got the noisegate as a failsafe -- an absolute last resort in the rare event I do get noise. I wouldn't intentionally create a problem, but some venues I play have their FOH amps plugged in elsewhere (my board has a tube pre- so I often run direct into a DI then PA), and they use stage lights which make lots of "noise."
If you're getting noise, there's likely a problem with your pedal power supply or somewhere in your signal chain. A noise gate isn't a terrible idea, but it's just a band-aid on a broken arm.

I had a 60 cycle hum that was driving me crazy last year after I added a pedal. It wasn't the pedal, it was the lack of isolated power. An isolated power supply isn't as much fun as a new pedal, but it alleviated the problem immediately.

To the OP:
You can make a board out of a lot of things, but I like the pedal train stuff. I decided to get their aftermarket black road cases because the consumer grade hard and soft cases won't stand up to my schedule. They're light, sturdy, and well thought out. Cable management is easy and many power supplies fit underneath.
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS