View Single Post
Old 03-15-2017, 03:57 PM

I just found this thread! I am also working through FE Vol. 1. I picked it up and started on it about a year ago, but I got interrupted with a new baby (Hopefully, he'll want to jam with me in a few years, right?). I'm just getting back to it.

I have been pretty slow getting through this stuff, but it's really been awesome. I never knew anything about runs, licks or fills before, so this has opened my eyes. It's also opened my ears, as I've been trying to use what I'm learning from the book to learn new songs by ear.

In fact, the most helpful thing I've found is a regular bluegrass jam session. Playing live with some good pickers, trying to learn songs on the fly by ear, applying the techniques I've learned from FE, and sometimes leading the group in a song has made a bigger difference to my playing than anything I've ever done. My rhythm and ear have improved immensely, and even my wife says I sound a lot cooler (and she hates bluegrass, sadly). Flatpicking Essentials gave me the skills to get started!

I've honestly kind of stalled out at the moment, but I'm getting back to it! In fact, I'm finally hitting the jam session tomorrow night. I'll have to do something extra nice for my wife, who will be taking care of our son...