Thread: Line 6 Helix
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuleriaChk View Post
From my experience, acoustic processors like the AD-10 can be replicated via EQ controls pretty much - I find them practically useless (since I already have tone controls on my Fishman Preamp (and don't even use those), and the "resonance" effects on nylon strings (for me) are almost indiscernible.
Well, in fact, I bought recently an used Roland AC-90, and added a "Love Squeeze compressor" from Rothwell Audio. I really like the sound of this amp, but then I realized that the AC-90 onboard FXs sounds a bit dated for today's standard, not to mention to have to buy two FS-5 to control them (although I already have one).

So the AD-10 seemed to be a good "upgrade" for the whole AC-90 preamp/FX section, as the amp has stereo Line-In straight to the poweramp (and it's even mentioned in the manual of the AD-10), but can I see your point about the EQ and the Resonance, so the AD-10 doesn't seems so appealing to me anymore.

Quote:
Don't get rid of your HD500 if you're not going to get a Helix... just try using the effects (for example "Tube Driver" overdrive is a good starting place, without anything else in the chain. The HD500, while dated, is no slouch.

I think that once you have a Helix, you are pretty much done with hardware for the foreseeable future. Line 6 is a fantastic guitar company (check The Gear Page) and the Helix will be around for a long, long time with updates coming regularly. With Boss not so much, but I would upgrade to HD500x if you're going to sell your HD500. IMO
Well, I'm a long time HD500 user, but after so many years, I cannot ignore its weak points anymore.
After using my amps (AC-90 and a Cube 80XL, for nylon acoustic and electric guitar, respectively) thru the same Rothwell compressor for some weeks, I tried to back to the HD500 again. But then I thought it was sounding very lacking in dynamics to me (after a couple of weeks using just the amps).
Then I tried to use the same Rothwell compressor on the HD500's FX loop and it's was much better, but noisy (electric Hi-frequency hum/noise that was not present when using my amps)

The 500X doesn't offer anything better, same tech but with those nice led rings and a slightly improved DSP. So I'm done with the HD series, I'm really anxious to sell it.

Quote:
I think that once you have a Helix, you are pretty much done with hardware for the foreseeable future. Line 6 is a fantastic guitar company (check The Gear Page) and the Helix will be around for a long, long time with updates coming regularly. With Boss not so much

For just guitar effects, the Boss GT-1 is awesome (i.e., stunning) at its price point..... for a single pedal, I found the OD-1x to also be excellent for my application. But even Amplifi/Pod Farm effects are excellent if you know how to use them... and finally there is always the Behringer TO800 for $20.

And I certainly would investigate the new HXFX (I don't know if it has the same Input processing as the Helix - eg auto impedance) as well as try the Boss GT-1 (fantastic at its price point)
While I really like the Roland amps (I have 5 of them, right now), I never liked like their MFX units, dunno why. I have had a GT-001 for a week to compare with my HD500, but always prefered Line 6, both regarding Fxs or amps sims.

Absolutely agree about Line 6 being fantastic guitar company. In fact, I think they are a fantastic software/DSP-dev company that casually makes impressive guitar devices.
Maybe I should say "unfortunatelly", becouse I would like to see Line6 devices for many others instruments, too.
Or a Helix as a kind of universal FX plattform, something like their X3 Live tried to be, with some more mic/voice/acoustic dedicated stuff than the Helix has right now.

Last edited by Ed_Saxman; 01-28-2018 at 12:56 PM.