View Single Post
Old 05-08-2018, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryjoh814 View Post
Methos, you are my hero. Last weekend I played the S1 at La Costa Coffee Roasting, and I really liked the sound with the unit placed on the floor to my side, tilted back.
I tried placing it on a counter next to me, but I found it harder for me to hear and it seemed a bit tinny, whereas on the floor it filled the room. Time to leave the speaker stand at home!
Your journey is fascinating to watch, from your guitar acquisitions to sound reinforcement.
Lol - thanks, Larry! I have tried the S1 sitting vertically flat and I find I prefer it tilted back. I played around with it outside again today (again with battery power only) and found that the difference in the 'auto-EQ' between the two positions is that sitting flat there is much more low end. When tilted back the lows are dialed back significantly. It makes you wonder how they came up with the various differences.

I was looking in the manual the other day (for battery installation tips which - btw - were NOT present!) and was looking at their interpretations of the different dispersal patterns. They don't go much into what exactly the differences are (which tones are changed) between the different positions but they at least give the various sound dispersion patterns.

So far I like tilted back (vertically) best but up on a chair or table. I have yet to run into a place where I can place it on the floor where it's not obstructed significantly by a bar or patrons. After that I prefer on a stand and then sitting flat but elevated, again on a chair or bar. Last, I prefer on it's side tilted back (like a monitor). I only tried this once on the floor and as with any time I sat it on the floor in any position, it was just too bass-heavy for my tastes, at least in my living room.

For those following the various Bose S1 threads I'm going to post a screen capture of the Bose sound dispersion patterns based on positioning in the next post (as I have to do it from my phone). Note that the S1 makes automatic EQ changes as well as whatever changes are made internally to affect the various positions.