View Single Post
Old 09-25-2018, 11:36 PM
Charter Member

Smile Long time AGF lurker

Well, I'm the long time AGF lurker! Joined AGF in 2008 and followed a number of threads during the early years...the marketplace, fingerpicking, and finally found the Custom Shop! I had dived into the custom build side of things in 2006 when Bill Wise built me my beautiful Charis SJ, and then again in 2008 when Simon Fay built me his #7, another beauty. But, with a minor touch of Guitar Acquisition Syndrome (GAS) I was able to hold it at that and just keep watching the many builds in the Custom Shop, and dreaming. So, I looked at all these guitars being designed and built - starting with Dream Guitars, of course, and Guitar Gallery, and then going to luthiers sites. I kept coming back to the Kinnairds...there was something that really clicked in me with their work....and when I saw some BWebony guitars on various sites like Reverb and found myself thinking BWebony was really cool with the right set.

I had spent my life taking care of children with cancer and flying in F18's on the weekend in my part time job, so not much time for guitar. But then I spent last winter in Corpus Christi close to my son as my retirement neared. I followed Christy Cook's OO build closely. That's when I went through Nacogdoches and intended to visit Steve Kinnaird (but timing was off, so wasn't able). Anyway, by then Steve and I had started emailing, and I was pretty much hooked that I wanted a guitar built by him - AND after seeing so many beautiful guitars built by Steve and Ryan from all you GAS people (probably better known as patrons of the luthiers!). When he showed me the set of BWebony he had I was blown away, and couldn't believe that I would be lucky enough to be the one he would build a guitar out of BWebony for!

So, I am really stoked as someone put it, and still feel like it's a dream! Super excited! So far, it's been a great experience. Ryan and Steve are awesome, and let me know when I suggest something a bit crazy. I really want to showcase the BWebony, with a subdued bit of a classic look on the front side...look forward to interacting a bit more on AGF and eventually getting to know some of you, at least on-line!

Mark Hatcher Pina Parlor Torrified Maple/Cedar
Stephen Kinnaird 00 B&W Ebony/Engelmann Spruce
Simon Fay African Blackwood/Sinker Redwood
Wolfgang Jellinghaus Torres Modelo 43S Maple/Spruce
K Yairi CYTM Maple/Cedar