View Single Post
Old 05-05-2014, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I've only used the mics for acoustic guitar. My needs are for solo fingerstyle; no vocals. I've heard mixed reports about how the A6 does on vocals (I don't believe they were designed with vocals in mind). I really like the A6, I think it's a bit fuller in the bass and gives a smooth and warm recording (compared to my SDC Oktava). Sometimes I like the Oktava SDC in combination with one A6 to add more transient detail.

My Oktava MC-012 is not one of the chinese fakes that GC was selling. It's confusing going through the various model number markings, serial number marking, observable design diffferences, and packaging differences to determine if an Oktava is a fake or Russian made but I'm convinced I have a Russian made mic.
Fake Oktava mics have not been around for sale, as new mics, for nearly 10 years. There are certainly many used ones out there and care is needed. I don't have the link any more, but there is a website that shows pictures of the fakes and the real Oktavas and how to identify each.