View Single Post
Old 12-06-2017, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Default Simple Home Recording Setup with ZOOM H5 - Can I Improve It?

I primarily record at home for self critique of my playing and also to be able to share a recording with friends or post on Soundcloud. For self critique, sometimes just recording with the mic on an iPad or iPhone can work but I do like something cleaner that is fairly accurate without background noise.

My room acoustics are pretty poor and for my purpose I record via the guitar pickup as follows:

Step 1 - Guitar with pickup (currently either K&K Pure or Taylor ES2) to Fishman Loudbox Mini amp via 1/4" TRS cable. EQ and gain/volume either by amp only (guitars with K&K pickups) or combination amp and onboard EQ (Taylor guitars with ES2).

Step 2 - Amp XLR output to ZOOM H5 XLR input (using only 1 of 2 XLR inputs on the H5)

Step 3 - Input on the ZOOM H5 configured to convert single XLR input to dual (L/R) mono signal for recording.

I've been pretty happy with the results so far but wonder if I continue to record in mono as above, would an EQ/preamp box between the guitar and amp offer improvement.

Thanks for any feedback or suggestions.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)

Last edited by SprintBob; 12-07-2017 at 07:54 AM.