View Single Post
Old 11-29-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKW-HTX View Post
Yeah, I haven't heard anything bad. Many people are comparing it with tube amps which is a good sign for the Katana. Yes there's a 50W version for cheaper.
I have checked out the Katana several times. It isn't without issues, or at least, the one I tried wasn't. FWIW, I am not well schooled in how to use all it's capabilities (i.e. Pairing pedals with different tone options + fx) but know enough to hear problems when I come across them. When engaging some mid-high gain tones there was an unbearable amount of white noise - the worst i have ever heard in a SS amp. I also did not check out the 100 watt version, but looked at the Katana 50.

It is better than most modeling amps to be sure, but I found the clean tones of the Fender Champion superior.

Neither touch the clean tones or raw power of the Blues Jr which is far more organic sounding, as it should be.

I tried the Bugera V22 and was disappointed a bit too. To be fair, I didn't spend much time with it but it sounded very plain and "vanilla" to me. I'm sure better tones could be gotten from it but it's not really in the running (for me) due to size and weight. The Blues Jr is about 10 lbs lighter, but still heavier than I would prefer. Sometime you do what you gotta for tone.

I would also add that the Fender Super Champ X2 is worth considering. Not as powerful as the BJ and the clean isn't as good, but it was much better sounding to me than the Katana. They can be had used for $250-275 and the BJ for $275-359 - at least in my area.

Hope this is helpful and good luck.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19