Thread: NGD X-30
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2019, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarvan View Post
A setup..... Well, let's get more specific......

What is there to set up and get a buzz out from a .10 action aside from raising the action with the rod even further? Raising the nut? IE a new nut? Filing down one or more frets? Raising the saddle?

Luthiers are not magicians and the tools, techniques and parameters are fairly straight forward.... simple enough for me to understand. From what I know, aside from adjusting the relief we're talking surgery.
If you feel you've exhausted other possibilities for the cause of your buzzing, another cause of buzzing may be the compensated bridge. Due to the downslope of the top of the bridge going toward the bridge pins, there can be less than ideal downward string pressure on the front of the bridge where the "compensation" takes place. This can, especially on the 3rd and 4th strings of Taylor guitars, result in what I term "string-ping/sitar-zing" which is a tinny overtone on top of the note being played, whether on the open string or a fretted note on that string. My new Emerald X-20 has some of this "string-ping/sitar-zing" on its 4th string which I haven't yet taken the time to fix. The fix for this problem is to take the saddle out and file off enough of the downslope of the saddle toward the bridge-pins to remove the offensive buzzing/string-ping/sitar-zing. Obviously, you don't want to file too much off so as to file into the "compensated" edge of the saddle.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20