View Single Post
Old 01-15-2019, 10:46 AM

I have 8 4099's, and I love them dearly. And while I don't often use them on acoustic guitars, I feel your pain. In December I was doing sound for a small tour where I had to attach a 4099 and a wireless pack to a mandolin and a ukulele, neither of which had a pickup or a strap. I used a cello mount gaff taped to the bout of the uke, and a violin mount gaff taped on the mando, with the packs gaffed on the back of each instrument. It didn't look too bad (unless they showed the back to the audience). If you like the 4099 on your guitar, a little gaff tape would help, assuming the finish of your guitar will handle it. Just don't leave it on for several months at a time or let it get wet.

Putting the 4099 inside might work, but it might take a lot of work to get a usable sound. I've never tried, so I can't say for sure. DPA makes a lot of mounts for the 4099, so I'm sure you could find a way to mount it. The accordion mount looks like it would work, but it involves screws, which might not be ideal. I'm sure you could glue or tape a mount, but I'm not sure how well that would hold up on the road. You'd probably also have to add an XLR connector to the side of your guitar, but it's certainly possible. I'm not sure I'd mess with it though.

Personally, my preference would be to either use the 4099 on the outside of your guitar, maybe with some tape to help out, or use something else entirely.

I love my 4099's and couldn't do a lot of my work without them, but based on the few times I've used them on acoustics I don't think they're ideal on guitar. I have a Tonedexter that I've been meaning to set up, which should give me a miked sound with a pickup. You might want to look at things like that instead of a 4099. Just my opinion.