View Single Post
Old 11-16-2020, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

THANKS Earl -- my thought is teach her guitar, using a baritone uke as somewhat of a learner guitar for kids. I could play notes/chords on my guitar, which she could see and replicate. Not to mention we could play our instruments together. Appreciate the input! Now to see how focused on guitar she will be .. Life is Good!

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
My thought is to ask who they might be playing with? If they are with other ukuleles, then baritone can be a hindrance. It becomes necessary to always transpose (the chord shapes are really the same but because of the the tuning each shape has a different name. Example: the G7 chord on C-tuned ukulele is the D7 shape on G-tuned baritone and guitar). If they are playing with guitars, then a baritone uses the same shapes and notes on strings. You can watch the hands of other players for clues to chord shapes. Later if they move up to guitar the student needs only to figure out what to do with those extra bass strings.

I also recommend a baritone uke over most mini-guitars / guitalele, etc. I think you get a better quality baritone uke for the same dollars versus the mini guitars. Plus four strings are less to keep track of than six and the neck is narrower to better fit small developing hands.

I suggest the Makala in the $90 range and the Kala in the ~$200 range. It just depends on your budget and how much instrument you want in the hands of a seven year old. My collection includes a bunch of ukulele up to the $1500 price point, but my baritone is the $90 Makala.
https://kalabrand.com/products/mk-b?...7056927d&_ss=r

Searching the Kala website further, they have very few low-end baritone models in the line anymore. I was always fond of the baritone version of the travel ukes, but it does not show up any longer.