View Single Post
Old 03-02-2021, 01:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
This is currently my favorite thread in Custom Shop! My hope is that you will update it occasionally even after you finish this gorgeous bloodwood guitar, as you acquire new hand tools and techniques.

I'm curious: how many of these techniques were used on my Woodsman? Did its old-time aesthetic inspire the use of more hand tools, or was it the other way around? My Hatcher guitar, by the way, seems to be going through a quite remarkable transfiguration. When I finally got the saddle replaced I had it set up with some extra light strings, thinking I needed that for bending the strings while playing blues, but after those changes the tone because far too beautiful to waste on the blues! I'm going to cultivate the classical end of my technique to play on the Woodsman - which is a good thing. I like John Hurt fine, but in the end I'd rather listen to Segovia.

Cheers,

Stan
Thanks Stan,

I'm glad you are enjoying this thread! I am truly enjoying my adventures in hand tools and sussing out the advantages of using them. I would say the Woodsman and the thinking behind it has helped me in my commitment to go further along this path.

I was asked to write an article for the Guild of New Hampshire's annual Journal magazine. The article goes into some depth about the Woodsman and my trying to find some authenticity in making a vintage influenced model. I don't think they do an electronic version but I'll likely scan it and post it up when the publication comes out.

I am also very happy to find you are finding some inspiration with the Woodsman you commissioned with me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby50 View Post
Here is a tool you need- I found one in a barn and could not get it working, so I passed it on to a very eager group of restorers

https://www.museumsmanitoba.com/150/...oid=1997105-01

Ed M
That's quite a tool there! I'm already afraid of table saws and can't imagine trying to peddle power and work a table saw like that. I'll happily keep my Jointmaker Pro!

Thanks for commenting!
Mark

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright