View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 05:44 PM

I've got a book somewhere that has about 25 different chord shapes up and down the neck for any chord you want - if that's what you're looking for. I'm sure there are chord books available, but let me know if you want the title and I'll find it.

If you want the theory I can give you a thumbnail sketch:

Chords are comprised of every other note of a scale. C = C, E, G (first, third and fifth notes of the C chord). C7 is a flat (lowered a half-step) note from the 7th in a scale: C7 = C, E, G, Bb. If they want the regular 7th from the major scale they call it C maj7 (sometimes abbreviated to C with a triangle in some jazz music).

That's the only weird one (7th). The C9, C11 and C13 are basically fancy C7 chords. If you just count up the scale (or play up the scale) you'll get to the 9th note (D). Then you add that to your C7.

I hope that was clear. You will run out of fingers (and it will sound too muddy anyway) when you get to C11 or C13 to use all the notes (C13= C, E, G, Bb, D, F, A), so you have to leave some out. The notes you really want to keep - the 3rd, 7th and 13th.

My recommendation is to get a chord book (or maybe find a site that has a bunch of chord choices) and pick a song to start with. Learn the chords you need for that song and take it from there.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo