View Single Post
Old 01-22-2020, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post
I took a minute to pull up the session in Logic and take a screenshot. It's really dead simple. A little compression on the mic for when we get loud. Valhalla reverb on the "ambience" setting dialed back to I think about a 2 second decay. Everything else is a HPF (probably at ~80hz), subtractive EQ, and then the Izotope Ozone for "mastering" (i.e. getting it a little louder). I grabbed the Izotope package on their black Friday sale and haven't really had much chance to play with it, so this is the first time really using it. It seems pretty cool.

Here's the entire session, really (if someone wants to tell me how to get it to embed, I'd appreciate it):

https://imgur.com/a/NBLi8Gq

On normal recordings I'd do all of the "mastering" stuff pretty differently, but since this was just one track with one mic and I was on the road without access to to my interface/outboard/plugins, I did it all in one session.
Don't have Ozone 9 but have been using 8 for some time (upgraded from 5). They probably have an "assistant" that lets you target the LUFS you want?

In 8, once I have the mix (either bounced non-lossy or bounced in place in a new alternative often for this "pseudo-master"), I just use that and pick the -14dB LUFS (stream) target in the assistant. You can pick a representative sample while it tries to establish stuff and then bounce and measure to see if it's Ok, or set it on "Learn" and have it run the entire time the track(s) play, if the piece is short enough and you have the time. That gives you a good level for YT video, too.

I use the tonal balance too if you have that. Just a sanity check if you've spent too many hours with the headphones on...