View Single Post
Old 01-10-2020, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
I own a 1961 B45-12 (and previously owned a 1963 B45-12). 1961 was the first year Gibson offered them and they only turned out 77 of them a number of which twisted themselves apart. The slope shoulder versions are distinctly different sounding then the later square shoulder guitars. The '61 has a slight bit of distortion around the soundhole but according to my repair guy as it iis minimal and impacts nothing just let it be.

As has been noted Gibson beefed up the bracing in the B45-12 in late-1964 by adding sister braces to the lower leg of the X. Whether the B25-12 was subjected to the same fate though I do not have a clue as I have never owned one. If your top though is badly distorted and you go the Bridge Doctor route, you will have to keep an eye on the bracing as it can detach as the top starts rising. The Weldwood cement that Gibson began using in the 1960s was not the best choice.

By the way, with the B45-12 the easiest way to tell if it is a pre-1965 guitar is the two triangle doodads on the headstock. If they have a rounded tip they are early. It pointed they are post-64 instruments.
Zombiewoof, thanks! I am not sure of the date on mine, but have read that the later B 25’s have trapezes and mind doesn’t. I’m pretty sure miner is a B 25, but don’t actually know for certain. It just looks like the B 25’s I’ve seen online. It doesn’t say on it anywhere what it is. Just a serial number.