View Single Post
Old 12-22-2019, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

Well, I have the one that didn't get away. After purchasing new Taylor K14ce Builder's Edition in October of this year, I decided once again to try consigning my 2007 Kelday 000 12 fret:

https://www.keldayguitars.com/kelday.../html/000.html

It has a number of up charge items that would bring the current build price to about $6,500 according to the site (the "ordering" page).

Since I bought a used 2005 Huss & Dalton 00 12 fret with custom wide fretboard, a couple of years ago, I had put the Kelday up for consignment once before. There was some interest, but apparently those folks couldn't come up with the cash. I took it back until just recently.

When I went to the shop, they said there had not been much interest in it yet. I played it a bit, compared it to several other boutique guitars in the shop, and realized once again, that this instrument truly is special, so again I took it home - this time to stay.

Apparently, the Kelday name is not known in the US. I am sure I would fare better in Europe since many top players there either own, or are at least familiar with the name. The first time that I wanted to consign the guitar, I sent an email to Dream Guitars, since they had sold it at some point prior to my owning it:

https://www.dreamguitars.com/shop/ke...ble-sides.html

Fortunately, they seem to archive the pages for all the guitars they sell. Anyway, they sent me a real nice email, but they said that unfortunately the Kelday name is not known in the US so they were not interested in consigning it. With so many builders these days right here in the US, I can see how the market would be saturated by now and European builders may not fare as well here except for those few known here in the forum such as Brook or Sobell.

There was another Kelday, I think the OM model, here on the For Sale sub-forum for some time, not too long ago. The seller finally accepted a trade instead of a sale. I honestly can't think of what I would be willing to trade for, since this guitar is so nice already. I just felt that my 4 higher end wood guitars are a bit much and wanted to "thin the herd" as is often said around here.

Now, I chalk this one up to the one that almost got away, so fortunately, I don't have to have regrets.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...