View Single Post
Old 02-11-2022, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Did you ask Kevin if they would slim the neck width down for you? There was a post here some time ago, which I can't find right now, where someone ordered an Emerald and asked them to reduce the neck width a bit. By width, I mean that measured across the strings. He said it made quite a difference. That isn't listed as an option in their online builder, but I know they will do some customizations that aren't listed.

After I recently received my X-20 I did notice the neck is a little wider than it needs to be. For example, here is a comparison of the X-20 neck to that on my Larrivee 00-40R. Both guitars have the same nut width (1-3/4"), the same string spacing at the nut (1.50"), the same string spacing at the saddle (2-1/4") and the same scale length (25.5"). The photo below compares the two necks at the 7th fret. The top half of the image is the Emerald. The lower part is the Larrivee.

Neck width at F7 Emerald vs Larrivee.jpg

You can see the spacing of the strings (E --> e) is very nearly equal, as it should be given the identical string spacings at the nut and saddle, and the identical scale lengths. But the neck is noticeably wider on the Emerald. They leave what looks to be extra distance from the outer strings to the edge of the neck. I think this is what the previous poster had Emerald remove when building his guitar.

Admittedly the difference in widths is small - 0.08" for the two guitars in this example. But that's more than 1/16", and many of us know how much of a difference 1/16" can make in nut width.

Anyway, if you haven't done so, try asking Kevin if they could do that for you. I inquired about it some time after I'd submitted my order but Kevin said mine was too far along in the build to monkey with the neck. That suggests they would have considered it if I'd asked earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintus View Post
My big concern is the neck width. As you know, Emerald doesn’t give you the option to choose a smaller neck profile. According to Kevin at Emerald, getting the more narrow nut makes the neck feel smaller. I hope this works for me. I’ve been leaning towards the X20 thinking the smaller body would also provide easier playability. The X30 I played was fine playing cowboy chords but I struggled playing up the neck and on barre chords. Since I’m buying before trying there’s plenty of guesswork in all this so I appreciate whatever insight folks have.