View Single Post
Old 06-22-2020, 03:52 PM

As if being fortunate enough to have a fabulous guitar from a lovely builder wasn’t enough (ok, actually quite a few of those!), I'm now quite overwhelmed by all your lovely words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmh1 View Post
What a gorgeous sound this special Wingert E makes. And your great playing brings that sound alive. In my mind and heart, this is the epitome of what great acoustic guitar music sounds like!
beth
Beth – That's the kind of review I'm honoured to receive! I’m so glad the music’s spoken to you in this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
What a lovely story, and what a BEAUTIFUL RECORDING!

Stunning SOUND. Please tell us the recording technology!
Hi Paul! Thanks for your interest.

Recording wise, it’s a very dry (heavily acoustically treated) room. It’ll be a spaced pair – though I’ll need to check what mics (and so what preamps) ended up in the mix – and a CAD VX2 dual tube mic in the centre, into a DAV preamp. I also record the pickup signals (via a Pendulum SPS1) and a bunch of other mics (er, 12 - it’s a veritable mic forest (!), though usually only 3 or 4 end up in the mix) into various preamps. They all go into an RME UCX, then into Reaper. It’s just a quick mix job of three mics, and maybe one or both of the pickups, since I’ll wait until I’ve finished recording the album before delving properly into mixing and mastering. So the channels are flat (no eq), with a reverb, and then some fairy dust in Ozone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
Man you and Chris are bad for each other - like sending two guys on the wagon to the pub!

I think it's possible I've played this guitar and recall it sounding fabulous.
And if there was any doubt about that, you only have to listen to your great recording. Seriously impressive.

And that Braz looks so quartered!

You're building quite a collection of instruments there...which would you grab if the house is on fire and your wife/child are in the other hand?!

Cheers,
Steve
Hey Steve – hope you’re well! Long overdue a catchup!

Yes, great piece of Braz!

I can’t believe you’re making me choose! But yes, this is the one that’d be coming with me and the fam. It’s the most sentimentally significant guitar, but also the one that speaks the most to me (for me?) musically. A really thick, rich, lush, warm and soft sound. Love it! The Wingert and the Sands (which it inspired in many ways) have been getting 80-90% of the action for the past year or so (in as much there’s been any …!). With another Sands on the horizon, I fear they’ll need to be some more thinning, but it’s going to be hard to let go of most of what’s left – especially the Kostals.

Best,

Dan
Kostal MDC German/claro and OM Euro/Madrose
Larrivee L-05MT
Lowden O35cx cedar/EIR, New Lady, Baritone, O12 and O12-12
McIlroy A25c custom Cedar/Kew black walnut
Montgomery fan fret parlour Euro/ebony
Sands Baritone Swiss/Ovangkol (another due 2022)
Wingert Model E German/Braz
Yairi 1960s Soloists

Last edited by nobo; 06-23-2020 at 08:53 AM.