View Single Post
Old 02-28-2021, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
I would disagree. I participate in a couple of open mics weekly. I wouldn't say they are poor substitutes, they are just different. Those I participate in use a round-robin approach, with each participant playing a single song per round with multiple rounds as time permits.

There is a learning curve and, for many, some gear acquisition. The learning curve involves not only learning the ins and outs of using Zoom for music, it also involves learning how to set up your equipment properly. The gear acquisition my involve investing in mics, stands, mixers, audio interfaces, webcams, or other gear.

Over this year of lock-down I and my fellow Zoom open mic participants have vastly improved our audio and some of us have also improved our video. Believe it or not, it has also built a stronger sense of community than that that existed before COVID, partly because we have all been helping each other with our sound.

If you have not participated in a Zoom open mic I heartily suggest trying it.
I completely agree with the above! I started the AGF Open Mic Facebook group almost a year ago and we meet usually bi-weekly on Sunday afternoon/evenings and it's been a lot of fun. It really only differs from an actual open mic in that it's not as nerve-wracking for newbies because you're in the comfort and safe confines of your own home. We have all levels and the regulars have become good friends. Although the group is on Facebook we actually meet on ZOOM and do simultaneous live stream to Facebook so previous shows can viewed realtime or after the fact.

You can check out our shows by clicking down in my sig line and requesting to join. It is for AGF members only and it's private so no one can find the group from outside which newbies also prefer. I do miss the open mics of the olden days and look forward to a time when we can go back to them but I also see the ZOOM open mic I run continuing as long as people continue to attend and participate!