View Single Post
Old 06-10-2020, 02:10 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I made two IRs with my script using the passive HFN as the input and an inexpensive Dean Markley Promag Grand soundhole magnetic pickup as the target (in place of a mic on the guitar for a typical acoustic IR).

For the first IR I played in open position only and the second 5th position only.

[Ignorable technical detail: Magnetic pickups not placed adjacent to the bridge, shift their relative position to the vibrating string as you play up the neck. Whether you want to label this non-linear (Audio Sprockets & Larry Fishman), or time variant (me), IRs are fixed and are not going to track where on the neck you are playing.]

For the purpose of making my HFN sound like an electric guitar it sounds GREAT at home. The two unwound strings are fat and electric sounding. It should make my duo's classic rock cover lead solos much better sounding. To cover electric guitar lead solos on acoustic guitar I play as much of them as possible on the high E and B strings.

It does not seem to matter too much which IR I use, open or 5th, for this purpose.

I have a gig Saturday and how it works live is the real test.
Jon, this is very cool. I noted your comment a few days ago and am planning a similar experiment with a ToneDexter. I am encouraged by your findings. Stay tuned for more on this from me.
James May Engineering
maker of the Ultra Tonic Pickup