View Single Post
Old 11-09-2018, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by byudzai View Post
So far the X20 does seem louder than the Sable, but that could be an auditory illusion from more higher harmonics ringing from fresh strings.
It could also be the player's perspective from that partially up-facing soundhole on the X20. When I've recorded my X20 and older style X7 (with the soundhole only oriented to the front of the guitar), the sound is a bit different but the volume and "bigness" is very very close. But the X20 sounds amazingly louder and fuller when I'm playing it and everything I've read and experienced suggests it's the soundhole orientation on the new Emeralds that makes the difference. If you can, compare how they sound with someone else playing them, or recorded into the same mic located about where the neck joins the guitar. When I just play the X7 for a while, it sounds wonderful to me, but when I play the X7 and X20 back to back, the X20 just kills it. Only from my perspective as the player, but then again I'm usually the whole audience, so I matter!

Very interesting about the difference in the sound of the veneer guitars compared to the carbon-only. I'm half thinking about getting a new X7 woody sometime next year and I like mellower sounding guitars generally So I'll be interested to hear as you play them both, maybe as the new strings age and you have a bit more apples/apples comparison over time. I love the look of the veneer models, but it's questionable whether it's worth the extra $$$ to me and if it comes with any sort of sound penalty, that would pretty much sour me on it....

-Ray