View Single Post
Old 04-03-2021, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
TB, what you've essentially said here is that unless the owner of the music gives you the publishing rights for free, you won't play the music and you'll even go so far as to ignore the music. This sounds like the kind of rationale some restaurant owners make when they expect musicians to provide live music "for the exposure" rather than for pay.

By ignoring a piece of music you like, you're removing joy from your life. If a piece of music brings you some amount of joy, play that music. Joy should be the goal, not facebook videos.
I don't think the restaurant comparison you make is accurate. I'm not getting paid to play the tunes and I'm not making money directly or indirectly from the covers. I'm not expecting Gin to give me his cd or notation for free.

I play guitar and record for my own enjoyment. Part of that enjoyment comes from sharing my covers of tunes here and other social media outlets. To learn the covers I will buy the notation and the "cd" or pay for the download. Its rare that I learn a cover from another cover, but I learn of new artists from the covers done by others.

Aria:

Celtic YouTube playlist

Nylon YouTube playlist

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk